Friday 3 August 2012

The Making Of It.. The making of

These are some pictures showing the progress of a painting I made for my recent group exhibition, the 'Making Of It'. The painting is Untitled at the present. I used a large very thick piece of wood to make the painting on, several people commented that they thought it was a door frame.

After sanding, priming, sanding, priming etc. I drew out the figure and blocked in the basics. 



More blocking, and no he has not got a terrible disease...


Once I had blocked in the figure I started building up the layers on the face and hands.


Then the coat got some colour and I roughly painted in areas of shade. More layers on face/hands as well.


Once I had finished the coat area I began on the blue checked fabric at the bottom, adding in light and shade.


Then colour to the background.


I then started to paint in the face and hands. This was followed by more detail on the blue check and the background.


I then thickened the black line around the homeless man to increase contrast.


Several steps ahead... I have completed the background by adding various layers of colour and added concrete to the surface.


The final step was to add in the metal poles of the railings. This was doled on to the surface and sanded to a smooth consistency. 


And voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment

www.andrew-smith-artist.co.uk/